Friday, May 30, 2008

River Trip

Last weekend Chad and I went on such a fun trip. I just had a blast! We went down the Green River in canoes with 13 other members of Chad’s family. It was so beautiful and fun! Props to Nate for making it such a fun, smooth trip. I would totally do it again. I probably liked it so much because I had nothing to worry about--Nate took care of pretty much everything as far as the logistics went, and Chad did most of the packing for us and then cleaned everything off when we got home. I'm so spoiled and I know it.

But besides it being a very relaxing trip for me, it was also a ton of fun to spend time with Chad's family and the views were AMAZING. It was seriously one of the most beautiful places I have ever been.

The first night we played some friendly softball.

A view from our first campsite.

Our first campsite (I didn't get a picture of it with all the tents up).

The place we stopped mid-day to hike around a bit. Most everybody hiked to the top of "pride rock" (center of the picture), but I couldn't get myself to do it, it was too high for me with nothing to hold onto. I'm sure Crystal will post pictures of it in her blog soon. Props to Dale for going to the top, even though he seemed to have a fear of heights like me!

The views were phenomenal. I just could not get over how spectacular the huge red rock cliffs were that sided the river the whole day. It was just amazing to me, and my pictures totally don’t do it justice.

We even got to take a nap on the river! Talk about relaxing! Here's Colbs and Chad enjoying a sleep on the river.
I'm not sure if you can tell, but in this picture three canoes are tied together. Just a while later we tied all six of our canoes together and floated down the river together. Talk about quality family time! We were all laying around on our canoes, talking, laughing, eating, sleeping, reading, enjoying the scenery and sun.


The campsite on our second night. Wow! Is it just me or is that one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen! The second morning I got up early and couldn't go back to sleep, so I got up and read my scriptures and took some pictures. That was such a lovely morning. It was so special to sit there surrounded by God's amazing creations and read the Book of Mormon. This was the view I had as I read. I eventually went back to bed for the cozy warmth of my sleeping bag, and I read "Enchantment," a novel Carrie lent to me, for the rest of the morning. Now that's life!


Another picture I took early in the morning.



Our six canoes, emptied of all our stuff (which was all at our campsite at the time). I thought it was such a picturesque sight.

P.S. Sorry I didn't include many close-up pictures of people--I'm never good at taking pictures of people. But here are the names of all the wonderful people who went:

Neal, Curt, Brady, Crystal, Dale, Natalie, Preston, Logan, Chad, me, Nate, Colby, Jon, Caytee, Preston.

5 comments:

Jessi said...

Abbi, that is one of the coolest trips I've ever heard of! How much fun for you. The pictures are gorgeous. I could totally imagine what it was like to be there.

Michelle Pyne said...

Wonderful trip! I know exactly what you are saying about being blown-over by the beautiful rock scenery. That's exactly how I felt when we went to Zion's for that family reunion a few years ago. I am one with the rocks! I especially love the idea of slow-and-easy-and-don't-fall-in-the-water!! (unlike a river rafting trip) You guys are so lucky to do so many fun things together!

Audra said...

W O W!!!! I am trying so hard not to be jealous right now. What an incredible experience. Oh, maybe I can make a scrapbook for you and experience the trip through you. That's how it usually works, right!

And I must say - you took some great shots. You have a great eye for photography! Really enjoyed the tree picture (from first camp site), the six canoes, the red cliff next to the river. Actually all of them.:)

Unknown said...

wow, I am jealous, I wish I could have gone! I went on that trip last time and it is so amazingly beautiful!

cpcox99 said...

I'm glad you guys had so much fun. Thanks for keeping an eye out for Brady. :) Wish I could have been there too!