Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Understanding Time


My three year olds are just beginning to understand the basic concept of time. But it is so funny to hear how they express their thoughts in relation to time, because they are usually way off. Here are some examples of what my kids have said and what they actually meant.

M*: "My mommy is going to have her baby in 5 minutes!"
Translation: "My mommy is going to have her baby very soon!" (her mom was about 38 weeks along in her pregnancy)

N*: "I went to Mexico yesterday!"
Translation: "I went to Mexico a few months ago!"

G*: "My birthday is tomorrow!"
Translation: "My birthday is in a few weeks!"

N*: "I want my daddy! When will my daddy pick me up?"
Me: "Your daddy will pick you up in about four hours."
N*, with a satisfied expression on his face: "Okay!"
Translation of what N* heard me say: "Your daddy will pick you up soon."

3 comments:

Jessi said...

Summer relates time via TV shows. If something is about 30 minutes it's one Little Bear. If something is a couple hours it's one Harry Potter movie. :)

Audra said...

"I peed yesterday," says Josh when he thinks he doesn't need to pee at that moment. :)

Michelle Pyne said...

I'm still struggling with the concept of time too. A year used to last for-ev-er. Now it lasts about a month!