Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Wow

Chad and I teach the Sunbeams in our ward, and I had the best Sunday last week with them. They were so good, and I felt like I taught a really good lesson, and everything went so well. I wanted to tell you something profound one of my Sunbeams said during sharing time:

The lesson was on Samuel the Lamanite and how he stood on a wall and told people that Jesus would be born in five years. The Primary Presidency member told the kids that they could tell others about Jesus just like Samuel the Lamanite did. She put a step ladder in front of a table at the front of the room and had each child get up and stand on the step ladder and tell everyone something they knew about Jesus. She had the CTR 7's go first, and they said things like, "He helps people, He died for us, He loves us, etc." Most of the rest of the kids said similar things, the most common being, "He loves us." It never got old to hear that phrase from those sweet children. It is so important to know that Jesus loves you and everyone else around you.

So when it came time for the Sunbeams to take their turns, I was a little interested to hear what they were going to say. The first Sunbeam to stand on the step ladder was little Isaac, a big-eyed sweetheart with really long eyelashes. He stood there with a somewhat frightened look on his face, and then said in a quiet, timid voice, "He holds my hand, and...walks with me." !!!! Yes, those were his exact words (including the pause). Can you believe that?! Everyone, including the Primary Presidency member standing behind him ready to help him if he needed it, just sat there in silence for a second, so taken aback we were by his testimony. It was a really special moment. I don't know where he got that from, but I sure am glad he shared it with us.

Since then I've thought about that a lot, how Jesus really can hold our hands and walk with us through our daily lives. He can walk with us through our struggles, triumphs, frustrations, joys, and those times when we are so confused as to what to do next. He can sometimes lead us and guide us, and sometimes He just lets us decide where to go and supports us along the way. But either way, life is always better when we walk with Him. I hope that I can be like Isaac and take the Savior's hand and walk with Him.

After that, our bright-eyed and attention-loving Cami stood up and said happily and loudly, "He gives me all my presents!" Haha! Oh, how I love Cami. And she is right--all the good things in our lives come from the Savior! I hope I can remember that like Cami has. :)

And the other Sunbeams said "He loves us." So sweet!

And one more funny story before I let you go:

One week there were three kids in class--Isaac, Nefi, and Mayci. During the middle of the lesson, Isaac has something to tell me--"I am spiderman." I indulged the interruption and said, "And who are you, Nefi?" He said, "Superman." And I said, "And who are you, Mayci?" Her response, without skipping a beat, in a high-pitched, sweet voice: "An angel." :)

I love my Sunbeams and am so grateful for my calling!

12 comments:

Kami Hall said...

So precious is the innocense and truthful understanding of a child. Thanks for sharing!

Diana said...

Primary is a really great place to be. I always loved being in primary. My little Abbey is going to be a Sunbeam in January.

Crystal said...

What a fun calling. I love that age. Logan is a Sunbeam and says the most interesting things.

Shana said...

How sweet! I love this post Abbi!!What a great testimony! It is such a wonderful calling and you truley are blessed by being their teacher. Sometimes I think that we learn more from them, than they do us! How wonderful! And Daxton LOVES Sunbeams!

Chris said...

What a great story. I loved teaching the sunbeams. You never knew what was going to come out of their mouths. I will remember that little boys story now that Jesus holds our hands and walks with us. Amazing that such a little boy could teach us such a great lesson.

Jessi said...

"Wow" is exactly my reaction. I miss primary.

Elaine said...

"And A little child shall lead them" "From the mouth of babes"
Let us not forget. I recently read an article about how babies as young as 6 months when given a choice, I can't remember how they did the test but the result was that they always chose nice over naughty. It just reaffirms how they were taught before they came to earth and were so pure from being close to our Heavenly Father.

Audra said...

That is so neat! Primary is a special place to be. And thanks for the good idea for future sharing times!

Michelle Pyne said...

That is a wonderful account. Thanks for sharing it with us. Do you think the laddar idea would work in seminary? That is a wonderful idea for sharing time! We all need to live so the Savior will hold our hand and walk with us.

cpcox99 said...

Abbi - I bet you and Chad are the best Sunbeam teachers. It's amazing what kids know, isn't it? We need to all remember that Jesus walks with us and holds our hands!

Michelle said...

Sunbeams are so sweet! Isn't Primary fun!

Kimberlie said...

What a great post! I am in primary and I LOVE it! There is no place I would rather be. I love the sweet answer the kids give. I miss being a teacher where I can have more one on one time and get to know them better.