Saturday, November 1, 2008

Group Time

One of the big challenges of teaching is transitions. That is, getting kids to clean up their areas for group time, lunch time, going outside, etc. I have found some ways that work for me to get my kids motivated to come to group time. I love kindergarten because these young kids totally fall for these tactics, whereas I don't think older kids would.

SING TO THEM
-I will sing, "I see Emma, she is sitting, she knows what to do!" The kids come running so I will sing to them that they are sitting and they know what to do!
-I will sing, "I have a friend that we all know, and Emma is her name--Get up and dance! Emma! Get up and dance! Emma! Get up and dance! Emma! And Emma will sit down." They will come running to group time so I will sing for them and they will get a chance to dance, and then at the end of it everyone is sitting down.
-Sometimes when I end the song (I've sung to each child in the class), I will sing it loud or opera-like or silly, and the kids LOVE it! It starts group with a fun feeling and helps everyone to be in a good mood.

REWARD THEM
-I tell them they will get these things if they clean up their toys and sit down for group in a certain amount of time:
-Stickers
-Jelly beans
-More play time
-Get to play "Kitty School." (I don't know why, but my kids love to act like they are cats. It drives me crazy to hear "meow, meow" all day, and so I tell them they can only act like they are cats during "kitty school." This is when during group I say I'm "Ms. Kitty" and I let them act like they are cats as long as they participate. I also call them "Emma Kitty" and "Tyler Kitty" and so forth. We say "meow" a lot during kitty school, but at least I don't have to hear it for the rest of the day.)

COUNTING
-I will say, "I don't think you guys will be able to pick up your toys in 20 seconds. Do you think you can? Okay, let's see. 1-2-..." They will race to be able to beat the 20 second mark.
-Sometimes as simple as, "I want all the toys picked up in 20 seconds. 1-2..." will work (but sometimes it doesn't, and they need more of a motivator).

COMPETING WITH ME
-I will say, "It's almost group time, and I still have to wipe off these tables and sweep the floor. You guys need to clean up your areas. Who will be ready for group time first--me or you?" They will race to get cleaned up because they love to beat Ms. Abbi and say they are the winners.

PLAYING GAMES
-I will start playing a game with the couple of kids who come right to group, and the rest of them will want to join, so they will stop what they're doing and join us.
-One game they love is "guess the person." I describe one of the kids who is sitting on the carpet and they guess who it is. Of course I say really nice things, so the kids will be motivated to come to group and hear nice things about themselves.

GIVE THEM A SCORE
-I will tell them that a 10 is sitting, listening, and participating in group, and a 0 is wrestling, talking, playing, and not listening or participating. I'll say, "I want you to be a 10 the whole time!" During group time if a certain kid or the whole class is having a hard time, I will say, "Remember, I want you to be a 10!" and they will usually want to come back to what they are supposed to be doing. And then at the end I will give them a score, and they love to get a 10!
-I will also grade how nice the room looks after they clean up. I'll say, "Oh, it looks great! This is an A+!" Or "Uh-oh, Home Living is still a mess, I think this room is only a B" or whatever.

Are there any other ideas you've used that work?

4 comments:

Caytee said...

That is so fun! Too bad that doesn't work at with the NICU babes. Ha ha! Maybe I should try! ha ha! Love you!

Kimberlie said...

You are learning so much about kids before you have any of your own. What a great thing! You'll be a pro. I think you need to come teach me! :)

Michelle Pyne said...

Wow, you are awesome! I could never think of all these wonderful ways to help children. Some of your techniques remind me of Grandma Howe. She was very good at doing things like you describe! I'm glad you have written them down so I can access them when I need them!

Audra said...

You are a wise woman!