Wednesday, October 17, 2007

The Seasons of my Memories

People have asked me a few times if I've missed BYU since graduating. And to be completely honest, I haven't really thought about BYU much. But I can tell you two things I do miss and have thought about a lot: ballroom dancing and Romania. I miss these two things so much!

Recently, I have been thinking about Romania a lot! I'd say I think about Romania at least once a day. I think the reason I think about Romania and not BYU is because of what season it is. It's funny, because some time in August or September, I remember thinking, "I think about Romania a lot, but I only think about the first month or so of Romania, when it was hot. I have to remind myself that it was really cold for a lot of the time that I was there! I wonder why I'm forgetting how cold it was in Romania!" But in the last few weeks as it's cooled down a bit here in Utah, all the memories I think of from Romania are ones where it is cool or cold outside! I remember the leaves falling as we walked to the orphanage, layering up before going to bed so I wouldn't freeze in our unheated apartment, being at the hospital when it was dark outside because it got dark so early, running in the cold in the early morning before going to the orphanage...

I think of the kids I visited at this time of year--Vasile, Ramona, Octavian (the fat Octavian, after his mom visited him for a week or so--not the skinny Octavian we knew the first month of the semester). I think of being with the kids inside the orphanage or being with them for just a few minutes outside as they were totally bundled up in their coats and hats. Oh, how I ache to be able to see those kids again! Paula, Ana, Paul, Niculina, Adina... I pray that the Lord will keep them safe from harm, and help them to feel happiness in their hearts of gold.

And a couple weeks ago while we were on our National Parks trip, I kept thinking, "This trip is like Budapest! It's such a relief to be away from everything for a while! It's so rejuvenating." Oh how I loved Budapest! Every time it rains I think of Budapest, because it rained a lot while we were there. I want to go back to Budapest and Iasi so badly.

Our National Parks trip also made me think about London. All the driving we did reminded me of traveling around in our coaches around England. I love to travel!

So, I apologize for the ramblings, but the point of this post is to remark on how big of an impact the weather has on what I think about and what memories come to my mind. I bet by next spring I won't be thinking of Romania as much, but will think about BYU and how much I loved the campus and Y Mount and such.

6 comments:

Michelle Pyne said...

I think memories are wonderful. You take experiences you've had and you hold them forever. Romania was a life-changing experience for you. When you miss it, just take out your memories and enjoy them for as long as you need to.

Kami Hall said...

I think about Denmark a lot too. Even after 8 years! But I think with my good friend passing it brought back a lot of memories since that's where I met him. That's cool you got to go to such neat places! I remember London too. Such a cool place!

Shana said...

Isn't it wonderful how certain things bring you back to certain times? Sometimes smells do this to me too... When I think about the holidays, I think about Gramma & Grandpa. When I eat an apple, I think about Grandpa. It is insane, isn't it? I love it though and I don't blame you one bit for thinking about those children. They are so special and I am sure they miss you!

Kimberlie said...

The weather affects me so much! It totally brings back certain memories for me. Smells, music, seasons all bring back so many vivid memories for me.

Michelle said...

It is so true that certain times of the year bring back certain memories. I am so with you on that.

Elaine said...

Memories are such a blessing. They bring us peace, happiness, thoughtfulness and even saddness. All are good for present and future life experiences. The best thing I love to do is PONDER on it all and gratitude washes over me like a gentle breeze on a hot day. Thanks for the reminder.