Tuesday, August 21, 2007

"Every Life is a Story"

I'm not sure if there still is, but there used to be a series of biographies on A & E, and their slogan was, "Because every life has a story." I want to tweak that a little bit to make it, "Every life is a story." I've found that when I am feeling discouraged about the negative things in my life, I like to sit back and dramatize it, and it makes it much easier to bear.

For instance, when I was in Romania, the first month or so was super hard for me. I did not like Romania at first and I missed Chad SO badly. And one thing that helped me cope was to think of someone making a movie of Chad and my romance, how we were separated and both in strange lands, walking along the foreign streets, etc, etc. Even though I hated being apart, it was kind of fun to think of how it could make a good movie clip.

Another thing I like to do is make up lines in my future biography about how this time of my life helped me learn this or that, to make my challenges seem important in shaping my wonderful character. :) Or about how I was a force for good in this area or that, to make me feel like I have power to do good in my present situation.

Another thing I'll do is pretend I'm older and looking back onto this time, reminiscing on how good this time of my life was. For instance, when I was sick of studying at BYU, I'd think of myself as a future mother, longing to have some peace and quiet to study for hours on end. :)

And the examples could go on and on, of ways I've tried to make my life seem really cool and great. I don't know if this blog is making me seem very dramatic and self-centered, but that's not my intent! What I'm trying to say is, I think every stage of life is important, because it helps mold people into what they become. And I think if we could see that on a day-to-day basis, we would feel more positive about our lives.

I think that if we could just sit back and see our own stories, we would see how cool our lives were! And I bet our grandkids or someone from a different country would, too. I think we could benefit from stepping back once in a while and trying to see our lives in the big picture. It would help us keep our problems in perspective, focus on the good, and see the humor in our thinking. We would enjoy life more, feel more grateful, and be motivated to make the most of our opportunities.

What do you all think? Am I the only one that does this? When you try to make your life into a dramatic movie or story, what parts of your life do you see differently?

10 comments:

Shana said...

I loved this post Abbi! It is so true and I think it is great you do this! I need to try it more. Thanks for the advice!! And when we do look back on all of the hard times, we should be able to laugh about them!! Love ya!

Michelle Pyne said...

You are learning this lesson way sooner than I did! I really like the suggestion to look for ways the current situation will teach your help you in some way! It is so helpful to look at the big picture! Thanks for the suggestions!

Kjirsten said...

Abbi, you make me laugh! What a great thought, you certainly are ahead of the game with your outlook on life. The great thing is that when you finally become famous (and we all know you will be)and Steven Spielberg comes calling you won't have any trouble whipping up a sceenplay about your life for his next blockbuster movie. Just remember, I've always been one of your biggest fans.

Michelle said...

I have never thought this way, but I love it! Thank you for sharing this. Next time I am frustrated, I am going to try this!

Kami Hall said...

I do it too actually! From time to time I've been known to day dream about things. Like what kind of movie my life would make. I don't think mine would be very interesting though. But yours sounds great!

Chris said...

Sometimes I think about what my family would say in my obituary and there wouldn't be much..hehehe..I've had 3 kids but haven't accomplished much. So that's what I day dream about. j/k. Life is good and it's fun. I remember grandpa and grandma telling us their stories and it was fun to hear them. You have a wonderful life and will have many tails to tell your children.

Jessi said...

What a great idea!!!

Laura said...

I definitely do this! I'll be walking down the street and I'll think about how cool I must look if I could see myself, and what an interesting life I have. (At least I think it's exciting and interesting). I especially do it at work when I'm in a really stressful situation. I'll just imagine myself being cool and collective and assertive, and that's usually what ends up happening. Sometimes when I'm feeling down, I remember that my life is exactly what I have always dreamed it being, and then I can continue on with my I-am-so-incredibly-awesome movie in my head. :)

John said...

That is pretty cute. And also, probably a good idea!

Audra said...

Remember how we were talking about how lots of times we don't really know what others think or say about us. So instead of worrying about it, or thinking the worst, we can make up anything we want! Like, "that person thinks I am so extremely smart. They are so impressed!" It's kind of fun to play that game!

Oh, and I think your dating story with Chad would make an excellent movie!