Wednesday, February 13, 2008

An Honor

The last two nights I have spent a couple hours at the bedside of my grandma in the hospital. I love my grandma so much, and it has been special to be with her during this time. She has been a real trooper through it all. She is so cheerful and kind. On Monday when a young man came in and asked her if she wanted a snack, she said enthusiastically, "You bet!!" Yesterday when I asked her how her day was, she said, "Oh, lovely. Just lovely."

She is just so beautiful. As I sat there holding her hand, I thought about all that her hands have done: rocked babies to sleep (including my mother), RAISED NINE CHILDREN, wrote letters to her missionary sons, made thousands of meals, folded thousands of loads of laundry, taught Chinese college students, traveled side by side her husband, worked as a missionary president's wife (while also raising eight children), cooked thousands of cookies for those missionaries, gave hugs to many, many souls who needed them, etc., etc., etc. And I thought, "Wow, what an honor to be sitting here and holding such special hands--hands that have done an immeasurable amount of good in this world." Just thinking about all that made her hands seem sacred, and I felt so honored to be there to hold them during this time. I feel it an honor to simply be her granddaughter!


This is a picture of my Grandma H*'s, Mom's, sister Jessi's, and niece Emily's hands, taken by Audra C*. Doesn't it speak volumes?!

12 comments:

Shana said...

Beautiful Abbi! Just beautiful! I don't know what else to say. What an honor! I Hope she is doing better!!!

Michelle Pyne said...

What a beautiful tribute! Thank you for seeing the beautiful and sacred and helping us to see it too.

Jessi said...

Grandma is a a gem among women. Her whole life has been focused on loving and serving those around her and I wish so badly I could be closer to return (at least a small measure) all the love and support she has given me.

Kami Hall said...

She seems like such a cute lady. I hope she is doing better soon!

cpcox99 said...

Your grandma is a very special lady. She really has blessed so many people in her life. She's a pretty good canasta player too. Curt and I played card games there one night with Crystal and Dale. She and your Grandpa made us feel so welcome. We really hope she's feeling better!!

Chris said...

Make sure you get lots of pictures of her and your family members. That's one thing I regret. Cherish all the minutes you have with her and your grandpa. I know my kids miss their grandparents very much.

Unknown said...

that's an amazing picture.. gives me the chills!:) I hope your grandma gets better!

Audra said...

That is absolutley beautiful, Abbi. It is so amazing to think of what those hands have done.

I want to be like Grandma H*. She is an angel on earth.

Laura said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma! I hope that she is doing okay. You are a wonderful grandaughter. :)

Kjirsten said...

Bless Grandma's heart! And bless yours, too Abbi.

Caytee said...

I sure do love your grandma. And I absolutely LOVE that picture. That means a lot. You are such a wonderful girl...and I'm sure that your grandma has a lot to do with that too.

Elaine said...

What a neat post. Love the picture.
Give her a hug from us.