Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I Voted!

One of the things I love about my husband is how he keeps up with politics. In my American Heritage class at BYU, I was inspired to become an active citizen, but it wasn't until I met Chad that I really did what I was inspired to do. Chad has helped me learn about politics, understand the political process, and think critically about a lot of the issues our nation is facing. He has gently invited me to the world of politics that is often overwhelming, intimidating, and frustrating to me.

This year I am learning about the primaries process. For the first time in my life, I actually know the candidates for each political party. I've kept up with primaries for Iowa, New Hampshire, North Carolina, etc... And today, Super Tuesday, I voted! I'm fulfilling my dream to become politically active!

I still don't really like politics, though. I believe it's important, but I don't like it. And here's why:

1. I don't like the fact that politicians seem to always be trying to impress everyone, especially during campaigning season. I feel like they are all fake! And because of that, I have a hard time trusting them or wanting to vote for any of them.

2. Along the same lines, I feel like during campaigning season, politicians are all trying to talk themselves up and make unrealistic promises. I want to say, "Yeah right, get real" to all of them.

3. I don't like how politics can be so polarizing. Why can't we all just get along?! :)

4. And most of all, I DO NOT like how political candidates bash on each other. Even when they rationalize it as necessary to point out differences between themselves and other candidates, I still think pointing out the weaknesses of others while emphasizing your own strengths is just plain low, whether it's in the political arena or outside of it.

But with that said, I voted! Yay! :)

6 comments:

Elaine said...

Those are the same reasons why I dislike politics. I cannot stand phoniness. I am just glad someone will do it. I would really hate it but I know we have the best process there is even with all the flaws. We got home just in time to vote too. It felt good.

Chris said...

You took the words right out of my mouth~~ Especially making promises that they cannot and will not keep. I've really been a lot more interested and concerned this election. Our country is in such shambles that we need a good leader!!Go MITT Romney!!!

cpcox99 said...

I'm glad you voted. I'm terrible - I forgot this whole afternoon and when I did remember, I was too far away from our voting precinct to get there in time. I agree with you on this - voting is so important!! Normally we get it done! And I also agree that politics are a mess!

Crystal said...

Hi Abbi-
It's Dale. Crystal and I voted too. Good for you... doing your patriotic duty! Crystal and I sometimes enjoy watching, discussing and participating in the political process. Be careful if you talk to Jon about politics... he'll give you an ear full! ;-)

Michelle Pyne said...

We are together when it comes to politics! I like it when Heavenly Father choses our leaders for us - He always does such a great job. I can't wait til we have that kind of government!

Kimberlie said...

I totally agree with you! Very well Said. I missed voting a couple of times because of conflict of schedule, and I felt so guilty. It's such an interesting topic of conversation!