Sunday, February 10, 2008

Compliments

Last week my sister-in-law Crystal posted about how a little girl gave her the best compliment that made her so happy. Today at church I was given a similar compliment that just made me so happy, and I thought I'd share it with you. I taught the Relief Society lesson today (I was subbing for another lady in the ward), and afterwards an older lady, Sister Giles, came up to me and said it was a great lesson and, "What I want to know is where you served your mission!" I told her I hadn't served a mission, and she said, "Wow, I am so surprised! You taught just like a missionary." That made me so happy!!

I've always had a desire to serve a mission, but when I was about to turn 21 I just didn't feel good about it (now I know why--a certain gentleman came into my life about a month after I turned 21). Even though I know that wasn't God's plan for me, I still feel a little twinge of jealousy when I see sister missionaries--that I was never able to experience that. But I can't wait to be a missionary with Chad someday! So when that sister told me I taught like a missionary, I thought it was the nicest compliment she could have given me!

Compliments are so powerful--they are examples of how small things can make such a big difference! Just one little sentence can make a person feel so good for the rest of the day! Like the compliment Crystal received from that little girl, and the one Sister Giles gave me to me. Another compliment that made me feel so good was one I received on my wedding day. Chad and I were walking around the temple grounds to a spot where our photographer wanted to take some pictures, and we passed a little girl about four years old and her mom sitting on a blanket in the shade of a tree. The little girl looked at me, and then at her mom and excitedly said, "Look Mom--there's the princess!!" That made me feel so good!!

Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin, one of my most favorite apostles, spoke on compliments in his conference talk in May of 2005. His talk was titled "The Virtue of Kindness," and it is one of my favorite conference talks. In it he recounted these stories and gave this counsel:


"One day, when I was in college, a man seven years my senior congratulated me on my performance in a football game. He not only praised how well I had done in the game, but he had noticed that I had showed good sportsmanship. Even though this conversation happened more than 60 years ago, and even though it’s highly unlikely the person who complimented me has any recollection of this conversation, I still remember the kind words spoken to me that day by Gordon B. Hinckley, who would later become President of the Church.

"The attributes of thoughtfulness and kindness are inseparably linked with President Hinckley. When my father passed away in 1963, President Hinckley was the first person to come to our home. I’ll never forget his kindness. He gave my mother a blessing and, among other things, promised her that she had much to look forward to and that life would be sweet for her. These words have brought comfort to her and to me, and I’ll never forget his kindness.

"Kindness is the essence of a celestial life. Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others. Kindness should permeate all of our words and actions at work, at school, at church, and especially in our homes."

So when a compliment comes to your mind, say it! It might just make both you and the other person feel good for the rest of the day! And who knows--it may even make a lasting impression on them for the rest of their lives.

7 comments:

Jessi said...

That talk by Elder Wirthlin is one of my favorites. (And you DID look like a princess on your wedding day. Every time my girls talk about your wedding they say, "Remember when Aunt Abbi was a princess?")

Michelle Pyne said...

Thank you for this wonderful post! A sincere compliment like that is such a powerful way to lift others. And thanks for the reminder to compliment others. It is a wonderful way to give love.

Chris said...

I feel the same way Abbi. I love seeing the look on someones face when I say something nice to them. I know when I get a compliment it really makes my day. Thanks again for such wisdom. I also wish I could have heard your lesson today. I'm sure you were awesome.

Diana said...

Sincere compliments are so nice. Everyone needs them.

Shana said...

Abbi, I just have to tell you-- I love reading your posts. They always inspire me and bring me joy! Thank you so much for sharing this! Compliments are the best, aren't they?? Love you tons girl.

Shelley said...

I love reading your posts. They are always very uplifting and they make we want to do better.

Crystal said...

What a eloquent way to write about compliments. I don't remember Elder Wirthlin's talk, but plan to look it up.