Sunday, January 6, 2008

Cherish the Moments

While reading the talks from last General Conference, I noticed there were three talks with similar messages. Here are their titles (and links if you want to read them):

"Do It Now"
"Today Is the Time"
"Don't Leave for Tomorrow What You Can Do Today"
(This last talk is especially relevent to this post)

When I read these talks a while ago, I thought, "Hmmm, it seems like there is a recurring theme going on here!" I was impressed by how we need to make the most of each day, and not put off the most important things in life. Each day is a gift from God.

Well, since hearing the news about Brian and Nicolle and their family, I have remembered this message and felt it more than ever. Now that I look back on them, every moment I witnessed of them together--every glance, every good-bye kiss, every laugh, every time they sat next to each other at church, etc., etc.--just seems like the most beautiful moment in the whole world. It is so true that you don't realize the value of things until they are taken away from you. At the time, all these moments I witnessed seemed so ordinary, but now looking back on them I see them as the most extraordinarly happy things one could ever have. It makes me want to cherish every moment I have with Chad. It makes me want to appreciate all the little things so much more.

This year in 2008 I want to appreciate every moment. So many people wrote in our wedding cards to "Cherish each other." I think that is so true. We need to cherish each other, and every moment we have with each other, because we don't know when that might be taken away from us. I hope I can live my life so that I can look back and say I didn't miss a chance to love, to thank, to serve, to uplift, to encourage--so that if my opportunity to do those things for a certain person were taken away, I would know I gave all the love I could in the time I had.

P.S. No new updates on Brian, but things are definitely not looking good.

8 comments:

Jessi said...

What a great message! I'm going to try to cherish the moments as well. Looking back, the times when I am really engaged in life and pay attention to the little things are the times I am the happiest and most at peace. Thanks for the reminder.

Chris said...

Wonderful reminder Abbi..you are so wise for your age. I love your wisdom.

Kjirsten said...

I'm glad I read your post. Thanks for the great counsel, and we'll remember your friends in our prayers.

Michelle Pyne said...

As I have put the Christmas decorations away and a million memories with them, I have come to the same conclusion. Life is a gift and the real treasures are the love and experiences we have with others. There are so many reasons to rejoice each day. Let's train ourselves to recognize the treasures each day.

Shana said...

Thanks so much for this post Abbi! It is so so true. We never know what tomorrow may bring. It just breaks my heart.

cpcox99 said...

Thanks for reminding us about the little things, Abbi. It's really true that you have to cherish each day. You never know what tomorrow may bring.

Kimberlie said...

All I can say is Thanks! I needed ot hear that. :)

Elaine said...

Great reminder... To live each day so that we have no regrets is truely an admirable goal. Events like these really put everything into proper perspective. My heart is aching for your friend.