Sunday, January 27, 2008

President Hinckley


I just found out that President Hinckley passed away this evening. I will miss him so much!

I went to a stake Relief Society fireside tonight, and when I got home I noticed that Chad had called me. "That's odd," I thought. "I wonder what this is about." Chad never calls me when he's at work. When I heard his voice on the phone, I could immediately tell it wasn't for any happy reason. He told me that he had just checked the local news at work, and I've probably already heard, but...

At this point I'm thinking, "Oh no. Not another tragic accident. Not another death in our ward. Oh please let everyone be okay."

And then he finished--"President Hinckley passed away tonight."

And as bad as it sounds, I felt relief from that statement. That's not tragic! That's happy news for him! He gets to be with his dear Marjorie again! After Sister Hinckley died, I've felt that as much as we needed and wanted President Hinckley to be with us, he really just wanted to be with his sweet wife. And now he is! And I think we should rejoice in that!

The next thought that came to my mind was a prayer. "Heavenly Father, please tell him how much I love him. Please tell him how much all of us love him, and miss him. Tell him how much good he did, and how we will never be the same because of his influence on us."

President Hinckley is my prophet, and although I will miss him dearly, he will always stay with me. Through the things he's taught me by his words and example, the presence he radiated and inspired me to try to emulate, the encouragement he has given me, the way he has touched my heart for good. He always inspired me to do a little better, stand a little taller, be a little kinder. They don't come much better than Gordon B. Hinckley!! We'll miss you, President Hinckley! Oh--and tell Sister Hinckley hi from us! :)

3 comments:

Shana said...

I loved this Abbi and I feel the exact same way! I love my dear Pres Hinckley! He was/is the best and always made me be a better person! Oh, I love him and will miss him. But I am so glad he is with his sweet wife!!

Michelle Pyne said...

Ditto. President Hinckley was a remarkable prophet who set a wonderful example for us. He testified of the Savior and emulated Him. I will try to do the same.

Chris said...

I'm sitting here with tears on my face as I read your blog and comments on KSL about our Prophet. Just looking at his sweet face puts a smile on mine. You couldn't help buy have great love for this wonderful man. I will miss him so much!!