Thursday, January 10, 2008

New Job

To those of you who haven't already heard, I quit my job at the school for children with autism that I was working at. I quit for a number of reasons--didn't like the therapy they were using there, didn't like the social climate of the place, didn't like the position I was in, etc. I decided it just wasn't where I wanted to be--and it wasn't going to take me where I wanted to go, either.

So now I'm working part-time one-on-one with three kids with autism in their homes, doing a therapy I love (called Floortime). And I just started a job yesterday working part-time as a preschool teacher in a KinderCare close to my home. I'm in a class with about fifteen three-year-olds. I'm so grateful there's a co-teacher, or I think I might go a little crazy. I think I'm really going to like working there, and am going to learn a lot. It is challenging work, but also fun. I love reading stories, singing songs, teaching them about the most basic stuff that is so new to them. And it's funny, because I think all these kids are just brilliant. After working with kids with autism, they just seem so smart! It's so fun to have them look up at me and pay attention to me and understand me and respond to me! Wow. Little kids really are amazing.

I have a lot more independence in both these jobs than I did at my previous job, which I love. I really like having the liberty to make my own decisions and plan things out myself, rather than always just doing what someone tells me to do (even when I disagree with their ideologies). The people in these jobs treat me like I'm a capable person who has a brain, which is so refreshing! :) I'm very happy, and although I know these jobs will come with their challenges and problems as well, I feel so happy to be where I'm at now.

8 comments:

Shana said...

I am glad you have found jobs you feel better about!! You are great at whatever you do! And you are so amazing with kids and they love you, so this fits you perfectly!!
I love you Abbi!! Good Luck with it!!!

Laura said...

I'm so excited that you have a new job that you like better! There's nothing worse than job that you don't have autonomy in. Good luck with your new job!

Jessi said...

That is wonderful! (YOU are wonderful.)

Kami Hall said...

Good luck with them! I'm glad you found something you like!

Kjirsten said...

Good career move Abbi! I hope the new people in your life will value your sweetness and creativity.

Michelle Pyne said...

Onward and upward, I always say! Those kids are so lucky to have you as their teacher. I am looking forward to hearing your stories.

Elaine said...

Good Move. It's all about finding where you need to be at this phase in your life. I'm glad you were able to make the change. Never settle. I'm so glad we blog or I wouldn't be kept up to date with your life. We still need to visit in person though. Love ya

Chris said...

I'm sure you're wonderful at whatever you do. What a special person it takes to work with autistic children. I bet they adore you!! Good luck Abbi!!