Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Unique and Unexpectedly Happy New Year's Eve

I have been really depressed since leaving my family last week, and I had an especially hard day yesterday. It was New Year's Eve and everyone was celebrating with their families and I was going to be all alone. Chad was working in the ED at night and when I asked him about coming to celebrate with him in the ED, he said I could come, but he wasn't sure how much he'd be able to see me or if he'd need to go see a patient at midnight. So I bagged that idea and decided I'd ask to babysit my visiting teachees kids instead.

But when Chad got to work, he called me and said the other resident he was on with, Tara, told him that her husband, Brian, was going to come and celebrate with her at the hospital, and if I wanted to come too, he could give me a ride. The couple I was babysitting for were going to come home before midnight anyway, and so I decided to call Brian and ask to join him in driving to the hospital so we could kiss our spouses at midnight.

And then another happy thing happened--while I was babysitting Adam called and told me that he and his roommate, Loren, were at a party in my area, and wondered if I wanted to join them or if they could stop by my home and say hello. I ended up only babysitting until 8:30, and then Adam and Loren came over to my home at about 9:30 and stayed until about 10:15. We drank hot chocolate and chatted and looked at the wedding album Audra gave me. It made me so happy. So I got to celebrate New Year's Eve with family after all!

Brian picked me up about an hour after Adam and Loren left, and we had a nice chat on the way to the hospital. He is from Louisiana and we talked about the South, which of course made me happy considering that's where most my family is. Brian is really nice and it was good to be able to get to know him better. We both brought sparkling cider to celebrate with, and it was funny because he said he had never even drank sparkling cider before--I guess he just bought it because he knew Tara wouldn't be able to drink alcohol. When we got to the hospital we said hello to Tara and Chad, and then we waited in the cafeteria for them until 11:55, when their attending let them leave for a five minute break.

The four of us celebrated New Year's Eve together in the third floor stairwell where we could see all of the Salt Lake Valley and all the fireworks being put off. We counted down together and drank sparkling cider and laughed at how unusual of a New Year's Eve it was. I was so happy to be able to be with Chad, and it actually was a great view to bring in the New Year's with. We were all in really good spirits, and it was definitely a New Year's Eve I will remember for a long time.

Happy 2008 Everyone!

7 comments:

Shana said...

I am soo glad you got to celebrate with loved ones after all!! That would be hard!! :( And especially after being spoiled by being with family during the Christmas Holiday!!! If things hadn't worked out, I would have been sad you didn't call me to hang out! ;) Oh and you know what? That is awesome you voluteered to watch your VTer you teach kids! That is so sweet of you! You are sooo kind Abbi! That is what I love about you!!! LOVE YOU!

Michelle Pyne said...

That will be a unique and happy New Year's celebration you will always remember! I'm so glad it turned out so well!

Elaine said...

I had to work the late shift on New year's Eve, so I left Morris all alone but he didn't seem to mind. I got home about 11:00 and Morris was sound asleep and I was dead tired. I am such a wimp, I usually can't stay up long enough to see the New Year in. So We celebrate at 10:00 with the New Yorker's. Yes, I'm old and tired.

Crystal said...

New Year's Eve is a holiday Dale and I really never celebrate together. It is year end for him and when he worked in computer support he would not come home until 5 or 6 a.m. and then go again at 10:00 a.m. His new job has been better, but we have still only celebrated the holiday 3 or 4 times in our 13 years of marriage. I have learned to make plans with friends. You are lucky to have been able to bring in the new year together. Dale and I did, but about 30 minutes late. I have learned to take what you can get and be happy with that.

Kjirsten said...

Abbi, you're so sweet. Your blog reminded me that no matter where you're at in a stairwell or a stable, when you are with loved ones, it's always cause for celebration.

Chris said...

I'm glad you got to celebrate after all Abbi..It actually kind of sounds romantic. Happy New Year!!!

Kami Hall said...

I'm glad your New Years was a good one! I can't say I've ever celebrated in a stair well before. ;) Glad it all worked out though!