Monday, September 3, 2007

Help!

I am trying to find a poem in which a mother is speaking to her child about how even though she wasn't able to travel, she was able to travel through her child--she was able to see the world through the life of her child. If I remember right, it sounds something like, "You are my Spanish sky, you are my..." etc. Does this sound familiar to any of you? And if it does, do you know the title of it, the author, or where I could find it? It's driving me crazy that I can't find it. Thanks! (Once I find it, I will post it all for you, because it's a great poem.)

4 comments:

Kjirsten said...

Abbi, I have heard it also, Gordon B. Hinkley quoted it a few years ago in a talk about motherhood. Check it out on lds.com in the conference talk archives.

ls said...

Abbi!

This is Liz-- I was one of your teachers in the Romania prep. course along wih Amy. I found your blog from the Romania blog that you guys did and I have had fun following your very exciting life. I am so happy that you married Chad! I remember when you were very first dating him before you left for Romania. Congratulations! Marriage is the greatest. Motherood is the most amazing thing ever, too. I just had a baby about 8 weeks ago, and it is so wonderful. You can check my blog if you want to see any pictures of the baby or anything. Anyway, the poem you are talking about is this, I think:

You are the trip I did not take;
You are the pearls I cannot buy;
You are my blue Italian lake;
You are my piece of foreign sky.
(“To My Child,” quoted in Charles L. Wallis, ed., The Treasure Chest [1965], 54)

Hope that helps!

Michelle Pyne said...

Yes! I knew someone would come through for you!

Audra said...

I did get your message, Abbi. But I didn't know the poem, but it looks like you got it!

Call you soon.