Saturday, September 22, 2007

Overcoming Differences and Becoming Friends

I am so grateful for my study abroad semesters, because they provided a perfect environment for people from very different backgrounds, with different personalities and interests, to find common ground and become great friends. You're in a foreign country and have to do hard things, and so you just cling to each other and support each other and learn to LOVE each other so much. You learn so much from them and realize how amazing they are and you just love them so much!

I love the people I went on study abroads with so much, but if I hadn't experienced the study abroad experience with them, I don't think I would have ever even gotten to know most of them, because our differences would have kept us apart. It's great how certain experiences can override differences and bring people together. Working towards a common goal, working through common resistance and pain, can really bring people together. People you really don't understand or have a great desire to become friends with become the most wonderful, amazing, beautiful, and important people in your life.

I love that idea, that possibility, so much--of overriding differences and learning to love deeply. Because deep down inside, we are all God's children, and we all have so very much in common, so very much to give each other, and to learn from each other.

That's what makes these movies so great to me: Cool Runnings, Remember the Titans, Babe, A League of their Own, The Spitfire Grill, Saints and Soldiers, North and South.

Can you think of any other movies that have this theme that you have enjoyed watching?
Me and some of my wonderful London friends across from Parliament the night before we left London.

Me and some of my wonderful Romanian friends in front of the Children's Hospital we worked in.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Rog and I just got back from Sun Valley Idaho and all of the waiters, waitresses, baggage guys at the door, hotel workers etc. were all from other countries. They came here to work. When I read this post I thought of them too because they all are here together for one purpose. They are relying on each other while they're living here for 1.5 years. I'm so thankful that we do have differences otherwise this world would be a boring place. We talked to a girl from Romania while we were there too.

Michelle Pyne said...

I think that's the greatest adventure in life - learning to look beyond the surface to the heart of everyone. Like you said, there are so many things that divide us. It is a treasure to get to know someone and appreciate them just for who they are.

Kimberlie said...

I started to make a comment on this and it ended up being really long so I think I will post my perspective on this on my blog! Thanks for the idea. I'm still going to get that picture of Grandma too you! Sorry for the delay. :)